Nice Girl: The Giving Jar

Hi Nice Girls,


Starting today and going through Sunday I will be doing a Nice Girl post series – sort of a Nice Girl back to basics. My Nice Girl posts are often about friends, family, giving back to the community, etc and since the holiday season is right around the corner I thought this would be a fun way to kick start the month of November. Today I want to talk about a recent idea I came up with called “The Giving Jar”.

One of my favorite parts of the holiday season is the wonderful bell ringers for the Salvation Army. I love to see them all bundled up wishing everyone a happy holiday as they try to make a difference in their community. This really gets me in the holiday spirit and reminds me of the true meaning of the season. But as a college student on a tight budget, I don’t always have extra money to give yet I feel compelled to be generous. This year I’m going to plan ahead with “The Giving Jar” so that I can be prepared with a generous donation. I am going to decorate an old mason jar, label it “The Giving Jar” and toss all my loose change and spare singles inside. Before I walk out the door to a store where I know there will be bell ringers I’ll grab my jar to donate. I think this is a great way to save some money and make giving back during the holiday season a priority.

Don't be afraid to have a give, save and live jar like these ones, but the most important one to have is the giving jar! :)

Here are a few suggestions for making your jar:

   -Find an old jar around your house, empty shoe box or other container that way you don’t have to go out and purchase one.
   - Make sure it has a lid.
   - Decorate it with your favorite ribbon, rhinestones and maybe even some glitter. Make it stands out so that it will be a reminder about giving.

Ways to fill your jar:

   - Pass by Starbucks once a week and put that money in your jar.
   - Set your jar out on your desk at work or in the lunch room and ask coworkers to donate.
   - Carpool a couple days a week to save gas money.
   - Take your lunch to work or skip takeout.
   - Skip the pizza you usually order for late night study sessions.

As soon as I have my jar made I will take a picture of it and do an updated post so you can all see the jar I have created. I think this would be a wonderful idea for you to do with your family, friends or sorority sisters. I hope this post will inspire you to make a difference during the holiday season. Please pass this idea on to others. I would love to see other people put my idea to work.

I hope you have a wonderful first day of November and try to make this month the best one yet. If you decide to make a jar please let me know. I would love to hear about your fun decorating adventure. Also leave blog requests or general comments in the comment section below.

Be fierce, Be fabulous, Be you, and remember, nice girls always finish first.

BrittneeNoel

No comments: