Professionalism

In this latest edition of the Nice Girl Blog, I’m going to share my thoughts on professionalism. I’ve been finalizing my academic plans and researching internships that will lead me down my ultimate career path. I’ve been making mental notes as I come into contact with professors, administrators and career professionals. I’m learning a lot about portraying a professional image so that I can market myself effectively. I’m also learning a lot about what not to do unless I want to sabotage my future.

I hate to admit it but I’m seeing so much unprofessionalism from those who should know better. A striking example of what not to do is not being responsive or not following through. At this stage of my fledgling career, I’m looking to seasoned professionals for guidance and examples but too often the examples I am seeing are examples of things I don’t want to do. I suppose it’s a good thing that I am seeing this in action because it’s very obvious that I do not want to be like that. I will pride myself on being responsive even in difficult situations.

With the advantages of today’s technology, there is no excuse not to respond to someone. There’s a lot to be said for face to face communication and we must be careful not to let electronic communications become our sole means of sharing information. However, it takes mere seconds to send a text message or email in the midst of a busy day. Neglecting to respond, especially when someone needs some piece of information from you or is waiting for action on your part, clouds your performance and will eventually overshadow your skills. Don’t be that girl!

I’m challenging all nice girls in November to follow though! Respond! Don’t leave your friends hanging. Even if it’s just an invitation to an informal get together or study session, send a quick text to let your friends know your status. It’s a good habit to get into now because before we know it, we’ll be out there in the real world managing multiple projects and people and situations. What we do now sets the foundation for our performance in the future. This nice girl will always and forever be professional in whatever I do. How about you?

Have a fun, safe and responsible Halloween and remember Nice Girls always finish first!

BrittneeNoel

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Very interesting.